19 April 2011

Self-care of a different sort.

This is still not my OMG SQUEE AWESOME WEEKEND post, but bear with me.  I'd rather go ahead and purge the negativity so I can be in an appropriately pleasant mindset to describe what was one of the best "reunions" I've ever had.

As everyone learns throughout the years, some friendships and some people are toxic.  You love them dearly, and you try to help them see and understand their issues.  Where they're going wrong.  Why they're offending you and others.  You tolerate and forgive because you see the person's heart and know it's good.  You explain until you're blue in the face.  You forgive and forgive because it's hard to imagine your life without the person in question.  Personally, I've wound up staying in too many toxic situations just because I believe so firmly in the goodness of the person in question.  My persistence has been both punished and rewarded.  Such is life.

But at what point do you decide you're done?  Empathy and forgiveness are components of any successful relationship, friendship or otherwise.  But there have to be limits.  Everyone has a breaking point.  There's only so much aggression and negativity that can be accepted and forgiven before the whole situation becomes hideously codependent and unhealthy.  The longer the timeline, the more difficult it becomes to cut ties and to know where that invisible line between "good friend with problems" and "sociopath" lies.

As for me, I have my own problems, mental and physical, both of which I'm taking an active role in understanding and treating.  Frankly, it's exhausting, because I'm not the sort of person to just kick back and let the pills do the work.  Thinking that medication is a panacea, especially for mental issues, is the acme of foolishness.  There has to be actual real-life work done to succeed.  For me, this includes making myself actually talk to people (or the internets.  Hai, Internets!)  rather than stewing in my own juices, confronting my phobias, being aware of my mood, being mindful (and honest with myself) about what may have triggered my current state, and eliminating as many triggers as possible.  Toxic people and the drama and stress they bring are most definitely triggers.

So this begs the question, exactly how much should a person tolerate in hopes that the person they once had faith in will get it together, stop projecting their issues, stop creating drama, and deal with conflict in a mature way?  There's no easy answer, and every situation is going to be a case-by-case basis.  Whereas one friend may have committed such morally despicable actions that you decide, without speaking to them, to simply cut off contact (did this with a confirmed sociopath on my wedding day--happy marriage to me!), another may deserve a warning.  And another warning.  And another chance.  Enter the slippery slope of faith and false promises.  Faith that no, really, there's a good person under there somewhere, and maybe this was one last outburst, one slip into lashing out at you when they're really angry with someone or something else.  But how long do you operate under that mindset?  How long do you tolerate the abuse, not to mention live with the constant specter of this person's eventual explosion into unjustified rage?  I don't feel it's possible to have a functional, healthy friendship if you're just waiting for the next time your "friend" is going to take a (figurative) swing at you when you've done little to nothing wrong.  And woe be unto you if your false friend loves to make a spectacle of personal drama on the internet.  Please, someone tell me why in the hell anyone should accept treatment like that from anyone.  At some point, you have to make good on your word.  You have to drop the hammer and be DONE.

Do it for your health.

6 comments:

  1. Why even begin a friendship like that... seems to me within the first few weeks of knowing someone, if they exhibited behavior like this I would not hang out with them. In fact, I only think this decision is hard when it is a family member... this could include a friend who has been in your life since childhood, or just for a very long time.

    I refuse to be subjected to someone making me feel like crap because they feel like crap. I will tell them, outright, "Hey, um, yeah, so I don't want to spend time with you if you are going to bury me in your shit, lash out, and make me feel like a bad person cuz you are having "problems." I don't mind listening to your feelings and issues, but I draw the line at taking your abuse. Have a nice day! =D"

    I am finally at this point in my life when I realize, oh yeah, this is what "good selfish" is! Doing things that are best for me, not being trampled on, poisoned, or having my self esteem deflated in order that someone else can have one that much larger.

    Good luck on getting rid of any toxicity that you find lurking in your life... it is a terribly hard decision/thing to do when it is people, I think possibly harder than food and/or substances. Trust me though, if you have come to the point where you are questioning whether you should be friends with them, chances are extremely good that you shouldn't be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, Anon. It's just that some people take years to show their true nature. And I guess other folks change. Circumstance and time can do a lot to exacerbate the negative qualities in a person.

    And sure, I've been too nice over the years. But you're damn right--this IS what "good selfish" feels like, and baby, I feel fine. XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES GIRL, LET THE CHOIR SING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just gave this post a TRIPLE GOSPEL CHURCH CLAP.. with my booty ^-^ Excellence, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to this post! Oh man, I always say that you find out who your true friends are when you get married, have a crisis/divorce or have a baby. It's true! I had to let go of toxic/selfish assholes in my live many times over the years. It's never easy, but almost always necessary. When is enough just enough? Only you can decide. I'm at a point in my life now that I simply don't have the time or sanity points for such people and I will quickly (though politely) let them know just that. I give chances, sure, but not unlimited ones. Friendship shouldn't be hard. You should want to love and be around each other. It should never feel like a chore or heavy obligation. Thanks for reminding me that this, too, is totes self-care! <3

    ReplyDelete